From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Lee Stewart
Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2009 2:50 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Initializing 3590 tapes?

Hi all,
I feel a little dumb..  It's so long since I used a tape, and even
longer since  I created a tape, I think I'm missing something...

Is there a way to initialize a brand new 3590 tape on VM? Everything I've tried (TAPE WTM, DDR, etc.) gives me:
DMSTIO2139I VDEV 181 SENSE gives ERA/RAC= C0; cartridge may not be valid
for I/O and the return code means:
X'C0'   Logical WRITE protection exception

The MVS, sorry z/OS guys run IEHINITT on the same batch of tapes in the
same drives and they can use them. So I know the tapes and the drives match... They tell me I need to initialize them, but I'll be darned if

I can find anything in the VM manuals. And I really don't want this small set of VM tapes in the z/OS libraries...

What am I missing?

Lee

--

Lee Stewart, Senior SE