If the drive is shared between VM and MVS, is it possible that someone forgot
to vary it off (or whatever they do) from MIM? We had a case where the tape
unit had been varied off from z/OS, but the appropriate action had not been
done to take it away from MIM. This left it unusable by VM until it had been
varied back on to z/OS, had the MIM thing done, and then varied off from z/OS.

Regards,
Richard Schuh