It does appear that if you have either brand new or degaussed 3590 tapes, you need an extra priced feature to initialize them.. Which feature? Why z/OS of course...
Sigh...

Thanks for all the advice/suggestions...
Lee

Scott Rohling wrote:
Well - yeah - but that's not really solving the problem.. you shouldn't need z/OS to initiliaze tapes. I mean - this 'is' the z/VM list ;-)

Scott

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 4:58 PM, Rich Greenberg <ric...@panix.com <mailto:ric...@panix.com>> wrote:

    On: Thu, May 21, 2009 at 02:36:49PM -0600,Lee Stewart Wrote:

     > The TAPE WVOL1 gives me the same error...
     >
     > I just took one of the z/OS tapes that they have inited
    (IEHINITT) and I
     > was able to write to it fine...  (Of course now they have to
    reinint it

    Lee,
    Have the Z/OS folks run IEHINITT on your tapes, then redo with WVOL1.

    --
    Rich Greenberg  N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com
    <http://panix.com>  + 1 239 543 1353

--

Lee Stewart, Senior SE
Sirius Computer Solutions