From: The IBM z/VM Operating System on behalf of Schuh, Richard
Sent: Fri 5/22/2009 11:09 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: IBM 1401: was Re: z/VM 5.4 VSAM question - PJBR

The smaller systems, the 360-20 and 360-30 had a 1401 emulator mode. It was a
h/w or mc based feature. I don't know whether larger machines had it. There was
also a 1410 emulator mode on the -40. I do not know of any 1401 support that
ran under DOS, but my DOS experience is miniscule.

There was a nifty package named DOS Under O/S (DUO) that allowed you to run DOS
jobs under O/S MFT and VS1. It was developed by an IBM SE who lived somewhere
in Texas. When IBM did not want the product, he sold it to Computer Associates
(way before they changed the name to CA) where it was called CA-2 (IIRC). He
died in an automobile accident not long after making the sale.

Regards,
Richard Schuh