I find it just as frustrating when I look at the manuals via the internet and the pdf (my preference over html) has a title of HCSK5B30 or something as useful as that.
Jim

Scott Rohling wrote:
--00151757444e2547a6046e970b6f

As I am often in locations where internet access is either not possible or
not allowed, I really like to keep the official z/VM documentation on my
laptop.   I know there are web pages with all the PDF files, etc..   But I
have issues using them:

-  The PDF files are named with the manual number, rather than a human
readable title.   I usually end up renaming them when I download (and am
often inconsistent).
-  I'm never sure I have the 'latest and greatest'
-  The process is entirely manual

So I'm wondering what other people do to keep local copies..   It would be
nifty to have something that checked the web pages for newer copies of the
pdf files and did 'wget' or something on them - and was smart enough to suck
the title out of the web page as well and use it to name the file locally.
But - maybe there are other solutions I'm not aware of?

Anybody have a nice way to deal with 'replicating' the z/VM documentation?
(if your a Notes user, you'll understand the 2nd verb)

p.s.  Hmmm..  I bet I can use wget with the right incantation and get the
whole website to my laptop along with PDFs..   but not sure it handles
checking for changes?

Scott

--00151757444e2547a6046e970b6f

As I am often in locations where internet access is either not possible or =
not allowed, I really like to keep the official z/VM documentation on my la=
ptop.=C2=A0=C2=A0 I know there are web pages with all the PDF files, etc..=
=C2=A0=C2=A0 But I have issues using them:<br>
uman readable title.=C2=A0=C2=A0 I usually end up renaming them when I down=
load (and am often inconsistent).<br>-=C2=A0 I&#39;m never sure I have the =
&#39;latest and greatest&#39;<br>
-=C2=A0 The process is entirely manual<br><br>So I&#39;m wondering what oth=
er people do to keep local copies..=C2=A0=C2=A0 It would be nifty to have s=
omething that checked the web pages for newer copies of the pdf files and d=
id &#39;wget&#39; or something on them - and was smart enough to suck the t=
itle out of the web page as well and use it to name the file locally.=C2=A0=
=C2=A0 But - maybe there are other solutions I&#39;m not aware of?<br>
umentation? (if your a Notes user, you&#39;ll understand the 2nd verb)<br><=
br>p.s.=C2=A0 Hmmm..=C2=A0 I bet I can use wget with the right incantation =
and get the whole website to my laptop along with PDFs..=C2=A0=C2=A0 but no=
t sure it handles checking for changes?=C2=A0 <br>

--00151757444e2547a6046e970b6f--

--
Jim Bohnsack
Cornell University