> I don't think the analogy to a ping attack is a particularly fair
> one.  Yes, from the perspective of an innocent third user, they
> look the same, perhaps, but they aren't.

??? In both cases, normal function of the "innocent" guest is disrupted by a
force beyond it's control through no fault of it's own. The function is
disrupted by a lack of shared resources available to the "innocent" guest due
to trying to service what appears to be "legitimate" resource requests to
another  theoretically "innocent" guest.

> If the attack were made
> through some sort of security gate that defaults to "closed" state
> which the sysadmin had accidentally opened and left open, I think
> that would  be a more fair analogy.  Quibbling over details,
> perhaps, but there is an important difference.

Network floods have nothing innately to do with security states. You can
produce exactly the same effect within a local segment with no outside
connection, FW or any other "security" gates involved (misconfigure any DECnet
device that boots via MOP and see what happens), so I don't see the subtle
difference here -- one device banging out traffic without regard for other
systems on the same network segment starves access to the other systems on the
same segment, denying them the ability to function normally. Barks like a duck,
swims like a duck, it'll do for duck soup, as a friend of mine says.

But, as you say, let's concentrate on fixing the problem, not blaming the
symptoms.