I have a simple fullscreen display program which can get its
display data from rexx variables LINE.1 LINE.2 etc.
You could update the stem suffixes by -1 and redisplay every
time you get a new incoming message.

The program is pretty basic, no colors or extended attributes,
and only supports 24 lines. It really waits for input after
each screen is displayed, but also has an option to 'timeout'
after x seconds.

Happy to share if you want it.

Shimon