Jim Bohnsack <jab...@cornell.edu> wrote:-

> Colin--It sounds as if you are not really looking for a way to manage or
respond to what shows up on a screen.

Yes, absolutely, I need a look but not touch facility for external
monitoring

> You "merely" want to handle all of the secuser'd messages that are sent
to some collector user.

Yes, this will be an automation PC that will generate alerts on a central
alert console.

> You said that you had tried VM:Operator, but that there were some
problems.
> I use IBM's PROP, which is kind of ugly but I have many of our service
machines secuser'd to SYSOP,
> which is where I run PROP.

I did look at PROP, and I am still thinking about it, but it may be a
little over the top in this case because I simply want everything received
to appear on the screen (with no manipulation or processing or selection
of the message)

.
.
.
> The LGLOPER, logical operator, can be on a real live screen.

Yes, that is a good point.

.
.
.

> Jim

Jim (and everyone else who responded to this),

Thank you for your replies and thoughts on this.

The key issue here is that it will not be a human that responds to this
"screen" and there will not even be a real screen that anyone can see. As
a result, the extra goodies like highlighting and holding messages on the
screen are not only not needed but are exactly what can cause the problem
with VM:Operator. (The buffering of held messages that never get cleared,
because it is not a real screen, is almost certainly what causes it to run
out of memory and stall).

The process that is using these virtual screens will not be exactly a
screen scraper but near enough to make no difference. What I was trying to
do was produce something like the TPF consoles (that scroll like a
teletype) so that the same automation can be used. I was trying to avoid
having to deal with issues like MORE... & HOLDING (even though they could
be set to 0 0 the automation process would see it happening).  As this is
an external monitoring and alert process, the input of commands is not
something that needs to be considered.

The SECUSER we are want to deal with already goes to a VM:Operator
instance so I suspect that what I am looking at is an action routine to
echo the required console output to a dumb terminal of some type.

I will certainly look at the three options mentioned (PROP, Perfkit &
OTTOSCR) to see if any of these can provide a base for what I need..

Colin Allinson

Amadeus Data Processing GmbH

IMPORTANT  -  CONFIDENTIALITY  NOTICE  - This e-mail is intended only for
the use of the individual or entity shown above as addressees. It may
contain information which is privileged, confidential or otherwise
protected from disclosure under applicable laws.  If the reader of this
transmission is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
any dissemination, printing, distribution, copying, disclosure or the
taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this transmission in error,
please immediately notify us by reply e-mail or using the address below
and delete the message and any attachments from your system.

Amadeus Data Processing GmbH
Geschäftsführer: Eberhard Haag
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Erding
HR München 48 199