On Thursday, 11/12/2009 at 12:07 EST, "Schuh, Richard" <rsc...@visa.com>
wrote:
> So it depends on the release of VM. Anyone running a release older than
5.3
> will have a problem. So much for backward compatibility.

As to the RSCS CRI, do you mean that your programs using the CRI didn't
spell out the command name and got caught by the abbreviation change?  I'm
fairly certain that RSCS doesn't issue the CP FORWARD command on his own.

In any case, the number of people with channel-attached printers on z/VM
is getting pretty darned low.  We chose to sacrifice FO on the alter of
progress rather than create an unintuitive command (8 letters isn't a
lot).  Sure, there's a bit of grumbling from one or two people, but the
world continues to turn on its axis.  When we made TCP/IP low port numbers
protected by default, that was a much larger incompatibility, and people
got past it.

But don't worry, the world-renown "IBM Mainframe Hoops of Compatibility"
are still installed here.  But they are flaming *hoops*, not solid lead
Discs of Doom.  :-)