Unfortunately, it has changed. The CRI captures the responses, even if the
commands are CP commands, on the local node, and used to do so for commands to
other nodes. Now its behavior, when sending a command to a different node,
mimics that of the FOR command, regardless of how the command is actually
executed. There is an immediate rc=0 with no message and the real response is
returned as asynchronous messages from the target node.

The CRI is supposed to act differently than a simple "SMSG RSCS CMD ...". It
is, by its very name, different. CRI stands for Command Response Interface. It
WAS a programming interface. It was a way out of the screen scraping morass. It
identified the command that caused the response and indicated when the response
was complete. Now, it does not, except for commands to the local node. If it is
behaving correctly now, perhaps its name ought to be changed to LCRI (L for
Local). If all I wanted was to have the messages displayed on the console, I
wouldn't use a programming interface to issue the commands in the first place.

Screen scraping, while currently effective is ugly as well as being unreliable.
First, it is necessary to capture CPCONIO message traffic. Then it is required
that the real command be followed with something recognizable so that it is
known when the response is complete. Non-related message traffic must be
filtered out, too.

It has been my experience that all of the systems in our NJE network regard
GARBAGE as an invalid command and include that word in a one-line response. I
can use that as my end-of-command sentinel. If, for some reason, one or more of
the systems implements a GARBAGE command or includes that word, all in caps.,
in a legitimate response, I am in trouble. I may even be in trouble if a userid
GARBAGE is ever created on one of the systems.

You say that it should not have changed. I could not agree with you more. It
should not have changed. It did work for both the local node and remote nodes
in VM/XA and VM/ESA. It changed at some time - probably when we were given a
new version. Unfortunately, the use of the code had apparently ebbed and I did
not catch it at the time of the change; nobody reported a problem. Now, we have
a real need to capture the responses from JES queries, and we must scrape the
screen to get them. One of the responses is variable in length and usually in
the 50-100 lines range, so an end-of-reply indicator really is imperative. That
is why PMR 15882,49R,000 was opened on 10/16.

Regards,
Richard Schuh