From: The IBM z/VM Operating System on behalf of Alan Altmark
Sent: Thu 11/12/2009 12:21 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: TCP/IP and VSWITCH

On Thursday, 11/12/2009 at 08:34 EST, "Frank M. Ramaekers"
<framaek...@ailife.com> wrote:
> Oh yes,  I have complete control of 10.1.20.0/24.  Within this I have
> only about 6 addresses assigned (and all <128).  So, I decided to subnet
> it to 10.1.20.0/25, giving me two nets of 126 addresses.  The >128 would
> be the internal (to the z9) addresses and the <128 external.

"I've been Franked!" is now added to my lexicon. Any *more* surprises? :-P

The above does not match your configuration.  You were showing subnet
masks of 255.255.0.0, which precludes the subnetting you describe above.

Oh, and you WILL need a GATEWAY statement in order to force the stack to
take the indirect route:
  <external IP> HOST <internal IP>  VSW0  0

(The MTU of zero causes it to use the MTU specified on the LINK VSW0
statement.)

This message contains information which is privileged and confidential and is
solely for the use of the
intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any
review, disclosure,
copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this message is strictly
prohibited. If you have
received this in error, please destroy it immediately and notify us at
privacy...@ailife.com.