> What you use for backup depends on how you use the system. Do you have
> lots of CMS users, or do you just use CMS for VM and Linux
> administration? With lots of CMS users, you will need a file level
> backup program, such as VM:Backup.

Or if you plan to use any of the newer goodies in VM like the LDAP server or
IMAP or some of the other nice things. IBM only supports use of SFS and/or
BFS for these services, and if you think DDR sucks, wait until you meet
FILEPOOL BACKUP.

>  Note that to use multiple
> tape volumes for a disk volume backup with DDR and a tape manager, you
> need to do a small mod to DDR so that it will call the tape manager to
> mount the next scratch tape.

Peter, can you describe that mod in more detail? I think that should be a
requirement (you can also use the pipe-friendly DDR stage that supports
writing output to a pipe stage so you can just feed it directly into the
TAPn stage and GET STANDARD LABELS (woo hoo)).