Franz Josef,
If you move your production SPOOL to dedicated volumes, along with your
WARMSTART / CHECKPOINT areas then, unless the format of the SPOOL control
blocks changes (a rare occurrence and one which is always flagged in the
documentation when it happens) you shouldn't need to restore the SPOOL
files. (Of course, I'd always advise taking a SPOOL backup - "just in case"
but, with a separate SPOOL configuration I wouldn't expect / plan to need to
use it!)

Regards
Jeff

(P.S. Whenever I've had influence over such things I have always modified
COPYFILE to default to OLDDATE - it's saved my bacon on several occasions!)