The cause is what in my eyes is a very old bug, it exists since the VM/XA
days; VM/SP had it right:
  in the VM/XA family, when a disconnected user, without a secondary user,
causes a VM READ, it is translated into a CP READ
With SECONDARY user one can correct the problem: SEND a BEGIN command
With OBSERVER one is stuck: one can send a BEGIN, but the following VM READ
is again translated in CP READ.  If that could be fixed...  Or am I dreaming
too much

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support