>It depends on what you mean with "performance testing"  Some people
>try to measure maximum throughput of a single server. Though this may
>seem easy to do, it has little business value for Linux on z/VM. In an
>environment where resources are shared and servers are utilized only
>part of the time, measuring maximum throughput does not tell you a
>lot. 10 virtual machines at 10% utilization behave completely
>different from one server at 100% utilization.

I agree with you on this measuring maximum throughput.  But I think the
dedicated CPU makes sense if we want to perform the benchmark compared to
distributed platform. And it's also meaningful if we try to perform the stress
verification test. Generally, we won't want each test result would be different
due to other guest machines' influence.  I think dedicate CPU to that Linux can
help to eliminate the impact from other guest machines.

>If your ultimate goal is to run Linux in an LPAR with dedicated IFL,
>then your measurements on z/VM with a dedicated IFL (or shared only
>with yourself) will be pretty close. But very few run it like that.

Yes. But I prefer to running the zLinux under zVM.

>We measure resource usage of the virtual machine and divide that by
>the number of transactions. You do that at different levels of
>utilization to understand how scalable the application is. You will
>often find that efficiency gets worse at very high utilization (lock
>contention, for example) and also often at low utilization (idle load,
>polling, etc).

I don't understand how you can know the scalable of the application via this
approach. Can you get the accurate application scalability?  It's estimated pro
rata?

Maybe my questions are not so 'professional' for a tester...
Best Regards
Anson Y

________________________________

If your ultimate goal is to run Linux in an LPAR with dedicated IFL,
then your measurements on z/VM with a dedicated IFL (or shared only
with yourself) will be pretty close. But very few run it like that.

> It's an interesting topic!  If you were going to test the application
> performance on zLinux, what will you do?  Install Linux on LPAR directly?

We measure resource usage of the virtual machine and divide that by
the number of transactions. You do that at different levels of
utilization to understand how scalable the application is. You will
often find that efficiency gets worse at very high utilization (lock
contention, for example) and also often at low utilization (idle load,
polling, etc).

Rob
--
Rob van der Heij
Velocity Software

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 10:29 AM, Anson <yeal_c...@yahoo.com.cn> wrote:

> Do you mean the zLinux running under zVM couldn't be used for performance
> testing purpose, even we dedicate one CPU to this guest machine?

It depends on what you mean with "performance testing"  Some people
try to measure maximum throughput of a single server. Though this may
seem easy to do, it has little business value for Linux on z/VM. In an
environment where resources are shared and servers are utilized only
part of the time, measuring maximum throughput does not tell you a
lot. 10 virtual machines at 10% utilization behave completely
different from one server at 100% utilization.

I believe with Linux on z/VM your objective should be the most
efficient (cheapest) way to deliver the service within the SLA.
Running a single virtual machine at 100% does not provide much insight
in this area.