From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Rob van der Heij
Sent: Friday, July 23, 2010 8:55 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: New standard for networking help

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 5:06 PM, Alan Altmark <alan_altm...@us.ibm.com>
wrote:

> Bottom line, it enabled me to discover the problem in about 5 minutes
-
> the NATIVE and default VLAN on DEFINE VSWITCH had the same value.

With so many people getting excited, I feel un irresitable urge to
assume my position on the peanut gallery this Friday afternoon...

"Well that may be true, but at what expense for the customer?"

>From my current position, I obviously welcome any effort the customer
is willing to put in to increase my efficiency and improve the quality
of my response. And I do expect that most of those 17 pages was their
normal documentation that they maintain for the system anyway. But one
should ask how long that customer has been fighting the problem to
make them think it required such extensive documentation. And if it
only took you 5 minutes to browse those 17 pages (certainly not read
it all) and find the cause and post to the mailing list, is it clear
enough in the books to prevent the problem from happening.

But in a former life as customer, I soon realized that vendors were
asking for extensive documentation and experiments only to buy time
(so once you had things collected, they could tell you that you have a
really old level and could you try with the latest version). An
automated program to generate such documentation with no effort - or
worse, even before the vendor asks for it - really defeats the
purpose... :-)

Seriously, I doubt such a "tell me all you know" program will improve
things. Especially since it only shows what the customer defined, not
what he meant to define or should have defined. Much of what you can
collect just is not needed in most cases. Like in this case, having
the Rick's list of 16,000 volumes would not have made Alan's task any
easier (depending on the layout of that list, he would have told us
285 pages of documentation to be the norm :-)

Don't get me wrong. I do value some kind of standard form or checklist
for each specific problem area. But I would focus on the 10% of the
information that resolves 90% of the questions. My experience is that
3 questions is about the maximum you can do (beyond that, people seem
to think it's multiple choice and they answer just one or two of them
:-)