> I'm curious. I have a KindleDX expressly so that I can easily read PDF
> books which are US Letter or A4 sized. Given the upswing in other,
> smaller, ebook readers (and things like iPod touch and smartphones),
> would a "mobi" format be useful?

ePub format would be generally about as helpful as PDF, and it's better behaved
on the smaller devices (eg, iPhone/Android, etc). The mobi format would
probably screw up the railroad-track diagrams something awful. If you can
create PDF, creating ePub from PDF is pretty simple.

> Or perhaps even a PDF book which is
> formatted to A5 size instead of A4? Or, heavens!, even publish the
> documents in Linux "docbook" format and let us create the "book" in
> whatever format we like using docbook tools. OK, this last is likely
> going too far as IBM starts to lose some of its control over content.

Bookie source used to be available for some manuals. Or if you have the .BOO
and Bookmaster/READ, you can produce the source with a few contortions.  That's
how I converted the VM/XA docs to PDF.

Rather than Docbook specifically, how about SGML? That would still allow
formatting with SCRIPT if necessary (DCF can handle SGML docs) and also allow
processing with Docbook if IBM made the DTD available...

-- db