VM Tcp uses the VTAM linemode console support to do linemode telnet (not
tn3270) support. Do a telnet to your VM system and log in, then do a q names.
You'll see

user - TCPIPn

as a 'terminal id'.

At the time that code was written, I don't think LDEVs did line mode and there
was a requirement to support plain telnet so they grabbed the SNA console
support which did, thus the VSM indicator.

It's handy for doing system automation stuff - much easier to drive from
Programs than LDEVs.