On Wednesday, 09/15/2010 at 06:35 EDT, Scott Rohling
<scott.rohl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone else sees the value in finding "VSM     -
TCPIP" as an
> entry when doing a 'CP QUERY NAMES'.

I do, I do!

> This is described as being the users of
> the VTAM service machine ...   As someone who often writes system
utilities
> which do a QUERY NAMES to find the active users - this is always
something I
> have to code around.  I know there are still SNA users out there, but
have
> always wondered if it's still relevant or even consistent to list it
under
> QUERY NAMES (rather than say, a QUERY VSM cmd)?    Always interested in
> learning from other listers...  I'm sure I'm missing something that
pulls it
> all together.

VM TCP/IP uses the same *CCS interface for linemode telnet sessions as
VTAM does for its terminal sessions.  The VM book "VSM" references were
all added back in VM/SP R4, and so predate any VM "recognition"
(politically) of TCP/IP.  To make it a bit worse, CP can't really tell the
difference between VTAM and TCP/IP in this regard.

But *I* know what VSMs "VTAM" and "TCPIP" do and so know how to interpret
the users I see following each VSM.

I mean, haven't you thought it a bit strange that CP DISABLE SNA will stop
linemode telnet sessions?!?  Haven't you?  .... Hello?  <crickets>

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development (T minus 05h 05m 42s and counting...)