tyvm, Mike.

Sorry for misinterpreting your previous email, but I am glad I was wrong
and everyone is on the same page about this, everything is "warm and
fuzzy".

Mike Walter <mike.wal...@hewitt.com>
09/27/2010 01:11 PM
Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Applying Maintenance - Best Practice

> You seem confident that this is doable with minimal risk ...
I'm not sure how you can draw that conclusion from my post, I never
mentioned 1st or 2nd level therein.  Only that you can "COPYFILE CPLOAD
MODULE fm -1CPLOAD MODULE fm (OLDDATE" before PUT2PROD ever gets involved.

 That was in response to your comment: "that PUT2PROD at Level1:
steps on the current CPLOAD no matter what you do."

Unless a CP change can be clearly identified as a trivial change (source
code is terrific!), we always  apply maintenance to the 2nd level system,
perform that previously mentioned set of minimal-to-significant testing on

2nd level and only then re-apply the maintenance to 1st level.  One of the

worst feelings a sysprog can experience is when a system to which they
recently applied maintenance crashes or fails to perform properly after
the maintenance required an IPL.  Perhaps the worst experience is when
that newly re-built system won't even IPL.  With z/VM's capability to run
2nd level test systems, there are few excuses for not having applied and
tested CP maintenance before scheduling a 1st level IPL.  Not everything
can be tested 2nd level (e.g. can't always share the same 1st level
hardware).  But one can ALWAYS IPL the new CPLOAD MODULE 2nd level.

On both 1st and 2nd level we maintain the same "COPYFILE CPLOAD MODULE fm
-1CPLOAD MODULE fm (OLDDATE" process for backout purposes.  Consistency is

the hobgoblin of my little mind.  :-)

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
The opinions expressed herein are mine alone, not my employer's.

"George Henke/NYLIC" <george_he...@newyorklife.com>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
09/27/2010 11:53 AM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Applying Maintenance - Best Practice

There seems to be a difference of opinion about how safe it is to simply
rename the cpload and apply maintenance at Level 1 instead of burning it
in on Level 2.

You seem confident that this is doable with minimal risk. others say never

make changes without first implementing them at Level 2 first and at least

IPLing.

Mike Walter <mike.wal...@hewitt.com>
09/27/2010 12:20 PM

Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Applying Maintenance - Best Practice

George,

There's nothing keeping you from making a backup copy (using COPYFILE with

the "OLDDATE" option of course!!) of CPLOAD MODULE to another name before
you run PUT2PROD.

We keep up to 9 levels of backout CPLOAD MODULEs around on the (enlarged)
CF1 and CF2 disks, using a making standard similar to a z/OS GDG:
The current one is CPLOAD MODULE
the next oldest is -1CPLOAD MODULE
the next older than that is -2CPLOAD MODULE and so on.
The original date and time of the file is always retained.

That way there's no worry about renaming modules to back out (we can
shuffle names later of we choose), and we can easily tell operations to
IPL with a LOADPARM to bring up SALIPL, telling them to load '-1CPLOAD'
(or -2CPLOAD, etc.).

OTOH, I can't remember the last time we had to back out a CPLOAD MODULE.

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
The opinions expressed herein are mine alone, not my employer's.

"George Henke/NYLIC" <george_he...@newyorklife.com>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
09/24/2010 01:44 PM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Applying Maintenance - Best Practice

So, I guess the "bottom line" is that there is no *silver bullet*, no
*shortcut*, for even the smallest change, that PUT2PROD at Level1:
steps on the current CPLOAD no matter what you do.
is unacceptable, without shaking down the change on Level 2 first and
having a backup.

If anyone knows otherwise, please let me know.

"Frank M. Ramaekers" <framaek...@ailife.com>
09/24/2010 10:38 AM

Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Applying Maintenance - Best Practice

I think the answer to your question is yes?    I assume, that any problem
discovered are not insurmountable that they have to be backed out (instead

additional fixes may need to be applied).

This is correct.   From my FLASH2ND EXEC:

/*--------------------------------------------------------------------*/
/* FLASH2ND  - FLASHCOPYs the 1st level VM DASD                       */
/*                                                                    */
/* 1)  Verify all flash drives are available (!._rDest variable)      */
/* 2)  Show a confirmation list of source & destination drives        */
/* 3)  FLASHCOPY CP_OWNED drives and rename destination drives        */
/* 4)  Create a copy of current direct and modify for 2nd level       */
/*     (2USER DIRECT) changing CP_OWNED volumes and updating the      */
/*     2nd level directory (Uses F123 as 123 for DIRECTXA).           */
/*     (This also places a copy of this new directory source on       */
/*     second level MAINT's 191 disk, this MAINT's F191 disk.)        */
/* 5)  Modify the SYSTEM CONFIG modfying the CP_OWNED volumes         */
/* Note:  This can also be used to make a backup of the system for    */
/*        quick recovery (this set of DASD is IPL w/o change).        */

Frank M. Ramaekers Jr.