That's something left over from the early SFS days in 1988: one wanted to
make SFS as transparently as possible to old programs: old programs check a
bit in CMS' disk table (ADT), and if that bit tells "R/W" they suppose they
can write to it.  Not always so with SFS, maybe you can write to file 1 on a
directory, but not to file 2.  Therefore: ACCESS of some one else's
directory turned the R/W flag off in the ADT.
To make usage at all possible:
- XEDIT and COPYFILE were changed to check the SFS authority, and not the
ADT bit
- ERASE and RENAME: if you code a filemode: they continue to check the ADT
bit;
                                    if you code a dirid: they check the SFS
authority of the file.
Later was added  ACCESS xxx (FORCERW and FORCERW, makes it possible to set
the ADT bit they way you want
FILELIST and DIRLIST got a READWRITE option.

Even later: people (like Rob?) complained that XEDIT and COPYFILE could
still overwrite files in a directory accessed as R/O.  So was the SET
RORESPECT born.

I'll send you "VM Newsletter 4" that we sent to the Belgian VM community
back in 1995.  SFS Auhtorities was the main subject of nr 4.

Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support