If you are a publicly traded company and z/VM is running production
without an ESM or its equivalent, then you have a "material control
weakness in your segregation of duties (SOD)" which can lead to more than
a 10% error in your financial statements and by Act of Congress, Sarbanes
Oxley, aka SOX, requires such GAPs, ie material control weaknesses, to be
reported to the Board of Directors and for them to report it to the SEC,
made public, which often as an adverse effect on the price of stock.

If the IT Audit has failed to identify such a weakness, then it needs to
be redone.

If you want to bring this to the attention of your management in a timely
manner so you can obtain funding for your ESM, just call or email the
Audit Committee which is, by law, a subset of the Board of Directors and I
am sure the funds will be readily available.

You may want to update your resume first.

Tom Huegel <tehue...@gmail.com>
12/08/2010 03:10 PM
Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Vswitch Grant as a CMD in User's Directory?

It is a hard sell to management to buy an ESM if there is no audit
requirement.

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 11:34 AM, David Boyes <dbo...@sinenomine.net>
wrote:
On 12/8/10 4:15 PM, "Quay, Jonathan (IHG)" <jonathan.q...@ihg.com> wrote:

>I don't.  I don't have any human beings on my systems except for system
>programmers that have full authority anyway.  Having to GRANT linux
>servers is an extra thing that has to be managed.  I would like to
>define a vswitch as unrestricted.
>
>Is there anyone out there that actually gains security from CP users not
>being granted onto their vSwitches? How many people would like to be
>able to
>define a vSwitch as "open to the public" or not requiring a grant to be
>accessed?

I'll make a counter argument: there is a significant difference between
being allowed to create a piece of infrastructure, and being allowed to
use it. Granting permission to use something after it's created is that
second item, and I would say that there is a very good reason to have the
two steps separate so that they can be separately controlled and audited.

So, I think I'm going to side with Alan. If you want an unrestricted
VSWITCH, you need to kick your ESM vendor to allow you to control them and
declare a rule that anyone can attach to said VSWITCH.

OTOH, I think this also argues for a bigger step: for IBM to supply a
default ESM and quit having to do it two different ways. We can always
replace the default one with something better, but there's a lot of
wheel-spinning being done in IBM development to support the two different
models.

Personally, I dislike RACF with a passion, but I'd rather have RACF be
present by default and have one single way to do security management (via
the ESM) than have to have a completely separate command authorization
matrix to worry about via CP privilege classes, etc, etc, etc. It may have
worked in the past, but it's time HAS past. There's too many regulations
and too many hostile bozos out there to not have a comprehensive security
management tool as part of the VM hypervisor suite. If that means we all
have to suffer under RACF for long enough to turn it off, then so be it.