The business case for CP40 was Project Mac, which IBM lost. But the
engineers (and some customers) recognized the value in CP and CMS and
fostered it in spite of the MIT spanking.

Serious use of VM for MVS development did not happen until a decade later
when it saved their bacon by emulating XA before HW was available. Not too
long after that, VM/XA SF and MA isolated early customer MVS/XA from the
horrors of real hardware. (virtual machines are always less "hostile" than
real HW and it took time for MVS to mature enough to survive outside its VM
womb)

I remember discussing MVS on VM with the MVS lead at my job circa 1985. I
was stoked because I love VM. But he was anxious to get off it and run
native. That is how many "Pookie people" seem to think of VM. They just
don't like it. You can't make people like something. (problem with free
will, I expect) In his world, there was no need for V12N and certainly no
need for CMS.

This thread has gone on too long. If you want tools for CMS, make a biz case
or make the tools. We should leverage open source. We should take advantage
of things IBM *is* developing, such as the BFS resident critters. ALL of the
programs I have compiled on USS have dropped right in to OpenVM. (one man's
experience; YMMV; actual mileage will probably be less)

-- R; <><