I don't think I ever said it should be free....

As a side question, isn't Cloud Computing....Time Sharing?
Aren't we paying for Cloud Computing?

I don't think, we, as individuals are paying into it, much...yet, but we are.

Yahoo isn't free.  We a flat rate, get some email services and storage and
virus protection.
Cobormite (the online backup service) isn't free.

Back on the CMS/hobbiest side.

Have a fixed rate charging system.

$10 per month.  Gives you 5 minutes CPU time (perhaps charged a MIP/Seconds
used).  And cut off when you run out.  Gives you 100 cylinders.  Gives you 32
MB machine.  You can pay for additional bumps in resources.  But a total limit
as a hobbyist.

Of course it isn't us, as a general rule, but the amount of money spent on
"ring tones", "text messaging", "ATM fees", etc. makes me wonder.

Last year, I bought a new desktop (Lenovo).  My first Lenovo.  Unlike IBM PCs,
it didn't come with a free copy of Lotus.  My old PCs are still running, so it
isn't a problem yet.  But eventually, I have to buy a Suite.  Lotus is
compatible with what I have, but MS is compatible with my clients.  I might be
willing to consider a Cloud version if the cost is small enough vs a few
hundred for the standalone product.

The IBM commercials are touting the Cloud version of Lotus Notes.  $3 per user
per month.  How much for CMS?

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

>>> Alan Altmark <alan_altm...@us.ibm.com> 12/13/2010 4:26 PM >>>
On Monday, 12/13/2010 at 05:06 EST, Tom Duerbusch
<duerbus...@stlouiscity.com> wrote:

> IBM had a program.  If you were a developer, you could sign up and have
time on
> one of IBMs' mainframes.  Kind of like the old time sharing services
back in
> the '60s and '70s.
>
> It seems to me that it resurfaced with Linux development but I haven't
heard
> anything about it in, at least, 5 years.

Yes, it's offered by the Dallas Systems Center as part of the IBM
Innovation Center, but it is open only to PartnerWorld members.

If you are in the *business* of software development, IBM has programs to
help you.  I'm not aware of anything within IBM to address hobbyists'
needs.  There is an opportunity for others to fill that niche, but I think
it's telling that no one has done so in a general way.  Remember that the
service provider has to pay licensing costs for the software on their
system, including 2nd level z/OS guests.  (There's no such thing as a free
z/OS.)   Further, they accept responsibility for YOUR use of the software,
which triggers risk management.  (Gotta read those license agreements
carefully!)

And even a niche provider has to break even on wetware, software,
hardware, and environmentals.

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training