On Monday, 12/13/2010 at 05:06 EST, Tom Duerbusch
<duerbus...@stlouiscity.com> wrote:

> IBM had a program.  If you were a developer, you could sign up and have
time on
> one of IBMs' mainframes.  Kind of like the old time sharing services
back in
> the '60s and '70s.
>
> It seems to me that it resurfaced with Linux development but I haven't
heard
> anything about it in, at least, 5 years.

Yes, it's offered by the Dallas Systems Center as part of the IBM
Innovation Center, but it is open only to PartnerWorld members.

If you are in the *business* of software development, IBM has programs to
help you.  I'm not aware of anything within IBM to address hobbyists'
needs.  There is an opportunity for others to fill that niche, but I think
it's telling that no one has done so in a general way.  Remember that the
service provider has to pay licensing costs for the software on their
system, including 2nd level z/OS guests.  (There's no such thing as a free
z/OS.)   Further, they accept responsibility for YOUR use of the software,
which triggers risk management.  (Gotta read those license agreements
carefully!)

And even a niche provider has to break even on wetware, software,
hardware, and environmentals.

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training