For some reason, right now, when I try to download and
unzip uspsFontsAFP-1.4.0.zip my system is telling me it isn't a valid Zip
archive, so I can't look inside, but here's what I suggest.

Don't use the VSE fonts.  VSE does link the fonts into phases, as you noted,
and those phases are not useful on VM or MVS.

If you can unzip the file and get the MVS version of the fonts, those should
work just fine on VM too.   The difference is that, on VM, each member of
the MVS font library becomes a separate file with the filetype indicating
the type of fonts, like FONTLIBB, FONT300, or FONTOLN, etc.

I'm assuming these are traditional AFP fonts.

Regards,
--Roger