David,

What two issues are conflated?   I'm getting confused now.  I was only
trying to answer Tim's question about how to get the USPS AFP fonts for IMB
into a format that PSF/VM could use.

Can you give a link to what you see that indicates "AFP now natively
supports PCL4 printers"?   Many kinds of printers can have IPDS cards in
them so that they support IPDS as well as PCL or PS.   Or are you talking
about using the AFP Viewer to see the image and then print it to a PCL
printer?  I guess I'm not understanding completely what you're asking.

PSF is only going to handle MO:DCA-P (a.k.a. AFPDS) data and use IPDS to
communicate with a printer that supports IPDS.   PSF only does IPDS output.
  If you are on z/OS, then Infoprint Server with the Infoprint Transforms
can take AFP and convert it to PDF, PostScript, or PCL and send it to a
non-IPDS printer.  Infoprint Server can also send AFP to a remote PSF (like
Infoprint Manager) for printing.

If you want to see the publications that describe AFP Architecture, see
http://www.outputlinks.com/SpecialInterest/AFPColorConsortium/publications.html

The Infoprint Server documentation can be found within the z/OS Information
Centers.  See the z/OS Internet Library as a starting point to get to the
documentation for your level of z/OS.
http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/os/zos/bkserv/

Regards,
--Roger