I think we're conflating two issues — I wanted to know about the issue of PCL.

I'm playing with an idea to be able to eliminate some of the outboard
processing. From what I can see in the docs (at least for z/OS AFP), AFP now
natively supports PCL4 printers. I'm curious if anyone has tried this in
general as an alternative to IPDS printers. I have some ideas about handling
the output for archiving if this actually works without screwing up the output
too badly. Not being a AFP wizard, I was looking for some sample output from
the AFP PCL driver.

-- db