On Friday, 02/25/2011 at 10:55 EST, Michael Forte/Poughkeepsie/IBM@IBMUS
wrote:
> Hi members of the outstanding z/VM community!
>
> I need advice or a pointer to documentation (if available?
presentations,
> official publications, Redbooks...) on how to move a Linux guest from
one z/VM
> LPAR to another. Now, I know this could probably be pieced together from
an
> assortment of z/VM product documentation or multiple Redbooks, but I am
hoping
> someone in this community has done this before. Even a set of high-level

> "steps" would prove invaluable.
>
> Does anyone have any insight?

Hello, Michael.   As David suggests, your question is rather vague.   In
general, moving a guest from on z/VM instance to another is matter of:
- Moving the guest's data
- Moving the virtual machine definition (directory entry)
- Making location-sensitive changes to either of those

Location-sensitive items include:
- MAC address
- IP configuration: addys, masks, gateways (whether static or via DHCP)
- Related DNS updates
- WWPNs
- Real device addresses
- DASD volsers in USER DIRECT
- Considerations for volser naming convention in new location
- Other changes in USER DIRECT that are related to the machine you're
running on (e.g. number of virt. CPUs)

It's mechanically simple, but it may be tedious depending on how far away
from home the guest is moving and whether there is some sort of congruent
system configuration at the destination.

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices