I stand corrected :-)

From:   Mark Post <mp...@novell.com>
To:     IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Date:   04/01/2011 04:31 PM
Subject:        Re: z/VM and Linux
Sent by:        The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

>>> On 4/1/2011 at 03:41 PM, Michael Forte <mjfo...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> Right, but unless I'm mistaken, z/VM workload is GP only.

That hasn't been true for years, unless you're talking about "traditional
CMS-based" workloads.  In which case you may not be able to license all
the IBM software you want on the IFL without going through the special bid
process.

> The Linux
> workload is IFL only (or should be).

That has never been true, except for the "should be" part.  Linux doesn't
care, just your CFO.

> No charge for IFL workload but there
> would be a minimal charge for the underlying z/VM processing (storage,
> memory, shared resources...)?

Not sure what you're saying here.  IFLs don't add to the z/OS MSU-based
software charges.  You still have to pay for any z/VM licenses and/or
Linux subscriptions that you will be running on those IFLs.

Mark Post