> Right, but unless I'm mistaken, z/VM workload
> is GP only. The Linux workload is IFL only (or should be).

There's nothing in the code that cares what kind of processor it runs on.
There are licensing issues with CMS workload (and running VSE and z/OS
guests) in that it's really expensive to run Linux workload on CPs, but
neither VM or Linux or OpenSolaris care about CP vs IFL.

Note that it is almost impossible to license the remaining CMS-hosted
products on IFLs (note the almost) due to licensing restrictions, so if
you have any measurable CMS usage, you're likely to be stuck on CPs simply
because you can't get any of the tools at a reasonable price (or in some
cases, ANY price) on IFLs.

IFLs are more a licensing trick than any real technology difference.

-- db