John,

I'm not aware of the XIV requiring any particular kind of card on the
processor side of the SAN.  Just the standard hardware requirements, such
as not mixing LX/SX ports, apply as they do for any storage subsystem.

The SVC is not needed to use the XIV as an EDEVICE, and in fact a switch
itself isn't needed (though is a good idea).  You can find information
about z/VM and XIV support, including code levels and restrictions, here:

http://www.vm.ibm.com/Storman/XIV/

Regards,
            Eric

Eric Farman