From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU] On Behalf
Of Alan Altmark
Sent: Friday, June 24, 2011 1:18 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: [IBMVM] RMSMASTR and shutdowns

On Friday, 06/24/2011 at 03:48 EDT, David Boyes <dbo...@sinenomine.net>
wrote:
> > As pointed out by Kris on prior occasions, you can use UCOMDIR NAMES
> > redirect RMSMASTER to another server.

> Ugh. What a hack. Works, but ... ick.

"Hack"?!?   That's what UCOMDIR/SCOMDIR were designed for and why CMS
manages APPC the way it does.  FIlepool references in CMS are, by design,
symbolic destination names.  If you don't have a COMDIR entry, you get the
defaults (e.g. TPN = symbolic name).

True, it's unusual, undesirable, annoying and a violation of all we hold
sacred in computing (WYSI*N*WYG!), but ..... OK.  it's a hack.  ;-)

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323
mobile; 607.321.7556