On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 06:09:27PM -0800, Judy Ryder wrote:
> >> For the most part, the iceland-style training works on forcing gait (for
> >> example, with the heavy contact), or obtaining gait mechanically, by
> >> manipulating shoes, angles, weights, concussion, etc.
> >
> > so you say.  i did not, however, see this evident in the one
> > shod-by-a-holar-alum horse i've viewed extensively, nor did i
> > see it in the other horses at his barn, who all appeared to have
> > quite straightforward "four plain shoes all around"
>
> How many of his horses gait at liberty?  How many gait on a loose rein?

i didn't observe his horses enough to say, except for stjarni, who gaits
both at liberty (though maybe not as much as he trots) and on a loose
rein (first demonstrated to me by gudmar; now stjarni will do it for me,
too, if i make sure he still knows i want tolt -- i use a voice command
to reinforce this, which gudmar did not).

> Were the horses ridden with boots?

not that i ever saw, in my couple of days there.  i did put boots on
stjarni once, rear ones over his cannon bones, after he stocked up from
being kept in a stall for two days.  i don't think it changed his gaits
much, but it did bring the swelling down, and i haven't used them
since.  this btw was on the advice of a friend with 35 years of
horsekeeping and barn management, not a gaited-horse person and
certainly not gudmar.

--vicka