On Sun, Jul 01, 2007 at 04:37:33PM -0600, Wanda Lauscher wrote:
> To each our own. I will probably always use the word "tolt" when
> explaining their gaits to non-gaited people.
>
> However, I will expand upon that word using North American terms when
> explaining the subtilities and range of what that word encompasses..
> I will want a non-gaited person to understand that they are seeing a
> saddle rack, or a rack or a nice running walk or a fox trot, or
> stepping pace.  To me, having people understand that there is a whole
> range of gaits available with these horses is an absolute positive to
> the breed.

i agree that it's an absolute positive, and i only wish i had your
ability to distinguish at the time among the various other terms used in
english on the spectrum.  i'm working on it with lee's book and the
videos i have, but i'm far from fluent even watching it (esp. given that
stjarni seems to feel free to switch among them without what i'd call a
definite transition), and even less so from the saddle.

so i'm stuck with either "tolt" or, well, lying....

--vicka