<< Just the other day he was acting out. And rearing some. Same tack I always
use. Maybe he was just in a bad mood.>>

Lorraine, I have run into similar sort of scenerious with my 9yrs gelding.
Never had a problem, anyone could ride him and this year he has turned into a
strange little beast when going on group rides, he just became evil and will
drop his head to his feet while cantering so to pull away from the reins,
pressure and then goes into a full gallop, so I don't do anything different to
bring this on then I find out that one of the borders at my barn has her
boyfriend riding him like a bat-out-of-hell when she rides her TBD who is off
the track and too looney for me to try outside the ring, the whole thing
started this past spring and sometimes he will buck, crow hop, rear a little,
but I have had him for 7 yrs and don't let him get rid of me. I just always
thought a horse with a good mind is wonderful to share and I am having a
dickens of a time getting him to stop this stuff. I don't let the young man
ride him anymore and am hoping that this is going to resolve. My youngest son
road him on our trails with a group of 4 other riders and he was the leader and
he only tried to short-cut home once so we are finally getting some progress,
although it took him almost 10 minutes to mount him as he was backing, side
maneuvers and stepping into him when he wanted to get on, and my son always
mounted him from the ground before without any issues, so after 5-6 perfect
years of riding, one wrong person has done a lot of damage, so maybe if I just
keep consistant with my old ways and not loan him out to anyone, we can get him
back on track, and I bet the same will happen for you with Daggur with
consistancy, even Mark Rashids latest mount was headed for the meat truck
because he wouldn't let anyone on him without giving them the ride of there
life, and Mark just said he kept a consistant work ethic with this horse and
now he would stand anywhere Mark puts him whether he is on or off of him, and
he stays there. Likewise, when Mark tells him to go after a bolting or rearing
horse, he does it without hesitation and this is a horse in his upper teens,
that was quite a turn around from his past, and Mark said that this is his
horse, no one else can get this from him because of the way they tried to force
him into "being good" by there rough training. This is an example of what can
go wrong and become right with patience, and I know what my horse was good at
before and I will keep up getting that guy back, but I certainly will think
twice before I loan out my horses to people who want to ride and not know what
they are about. I like to ride without training on the trail and do some work
in the ring, like reminding my horses of good standing skills when we mount,
seems they need to be reschooled on this at least once a year if not more and I
am sure I am leaving something out that is always an issue but I think your
riding alone in the ring, and around the pasture you keep him in would be a
good start and gradually get it longer and farther out until you can get off of
him and do some other chores. While on the trail. I have taken plastic bags on
the trails around my farm and got off my horse to pick up trash and just lead
them around or tie them to a tree while I got some big limbs and dead trees out
of a path. Make you rides about more than getting him to leave the buddy
although that is your main purpose, make yourself multi-task so you are putting
less pressure on him and yourself for this one problem. Jeannette