>>But Dagur always backs up when I
>>try to get on.  I guess I got to be quick

 >> Lorraine

Lorraine:

Maybe you were kidding, but please don't try to quickly get on!  That is one
of the best ways to get hurt if the horse takes off with one foot in the
stirrup.

Does he back up when you try to get on anywhere, or just when you lead him
away?  If it's anywhere, you need to teach him to stand for mounting.  If
it's only when you lead him away, does he stand at home for a mounting
block?   If so, you might put the same or a similar mounting block where you
usually try to get on after you've lead him away.  That way he'll have
something familiar as a cue to what you want him to do.

Cherie
Western North Carolina
Lilja, Roka (Icelandics)and Tyra (Fjord)