--- Karen Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> First of all, welcome to the list, Maria.   WHAT Is
YOUR definition of
> "tolt"?

Hi Karen,.

Thank you for the welcome.  I guess I will have to put
it into Peruvian terms since that is all I know. To me
a horse with good gait has a wide "thread."  Which
means they can maintain the gait ( 4 beat lateral with
3 foot support) in all range of speeds from slow to
fast.  The best Peruvians will choose to gait at
liberty rather than trot but they will also trot and
canter.  Good timing is also important to a smooth
ride.  So, I guess to answer your question I would say
a horse that is smooth, with good timing and with a
wide range of speed within the gait.

I mentioned different ridign styles because Peruvian
Horses are ridden more Western style and Icelandics
seem to be ridden English with a lot more contact on
the bit.  Valhalla is a training barn for Icelandics
in Lake View Terrace.  The teachers are Icelandic so I
imagine it will be differen than taking lessons from a
Peruvian trainer Maybe I am wrong. I don't have a lot
of experience either way.

Thanks for all the info. I really want to learn as muc
as I can.

Maria

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs