>>> A crupper should not be used to stabilize a saddle, if that is the
case... a saddle that does not correctly fit a horse.  There should be a
fist size space under the crupper strap (runs to back of saddle).  A snug
crupper is putting alot of stress on a horse's tail and spine.

I feel that way about using a crupper for any reason.  My goodness, if the
saddle starts to slip forward, it's going to tug on that very sensitive skin
under the tail and that can't be comfortable.  It seems to me that the
bigger the rider and the steeper the terrain, the worse that would be.  I
want a saddle that fits so well that it doesn't slip forward, period.
There may be a few horses that are so downhill built that a crupper is
necessary, but it's certainly not ideal.  I've never owned one, and was
shocked when I got into Icelandics to see that they were almost standard
pieces of equipment.  (Thankfully, we see a lot less of them now.)

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
8:47 PM