It's really sad to me too Mic.

You know, I can't think of a GOOD trainer/clinician that doesn't have a few
stories that they tell with sadness of some of the bad mistakes they've made
with horses.   Many will tell you a LOT of sad stories.  Certainly us
amateurs make plenty.  Having made mistakes isn't anything unique, or
anything to be OVERLY ashamed of.  (I am still embarrassed about some of the
stupider things I've done though.)  That's why I keep referring to Gudmar's
age.  Of course, young trainers can be good, intuitive and naturals.  I know
plenty of young people who are - but that doesn't stop them from learning,
evolving and continuing on to get even better.  But no matter what, ALL of
us go through learning phases where we try methods, discard some, refine
others and keep going.  Most of us gradually (some not so gradually) expose
ourselves to various horse-related styles, disciplines, theories, methods...
Eventually, we start to get some perspective, and find our own ways that
work, not only for the horses in our care, but work for our own innate
personality and learning profiles.

I've had Icelandic Horses for only 6 years.  I DO count my 13-14
pre-Icelandic Horse years experience as relevant, but I've never delved into
the study of any particular breed as I have this one, even though I've
always been horse-obsessed.  I'm very grateful for the opportunities I've
had to work with other horses and disciplines - makes me appreciate my Ice's
even more, even though I really love my other horses.  But, the entire time
I've been in this breed, Gudmar has been touted as an "expert."  No, let me
rephrase: he's been considered THE expert.  Kinda funny isn't it?  I thought
of myself as still being a "newbie" when I got Icelandic's, only 14-ish
years started into a lifelong horsemanship journey.  (NOTE: I do NOT count
any time I spent around horses as a kid towards my experience, since I never
owned one as a child.)  Gudmar had many LESS adult years of experience than
I had (gosh, he was barely even an adult!) and not nearly the cross-section
of experience that a NEWBIE like me might have.  He was just over twenty
when I heard of him.  Since that time, the show/evaluation pictures of his
riding haven't changed - no, wait, I HAVE since the bits he used get
stronger, and his forearm muscles seem to grow proportionally to the force
he appears to use on the reins...and I'm pretty sure I've seen him use that
stupid Levelor noseband.  A young "horsemen" (using the term lightly) of his
age should be in his prime LEARNING phase - exposing themselves to every
style, discipline, philosphophy that they can.  I simply can't see how
Gudmar stays so busy as he does, training Icelandics, busy at every Equine
Affaire as a PRESENTER, giving private clinics, etc., totally immersed in
one style of riding.  MAYBE he has SOME time to learn new stuff...but it
sure isn't showing in the pictures I see.  He uses some trendy buzzword, but
the actions simply don't match.

Really sad.

Karen Thomas
[EMAIL PROTECTED]