Some interesting stuff from the FEIF Education Committee meeting which
took place in February:
"What do we do ‘to put the welfare of the horse first in everything
we do?’
5.1 Comments from National Associations
We need to provide more courses to leisure riders, and to promote the
qualities and needs of
the Icelandic horse.
Emphasis on instructors to teach not just riding but also
horsemanship!
Many weekend courses too ambitious for the 2 days available, and as a
result some teaching
results in rough practice.
All FEIF members need to take more responsibility: instructors, top
level riders, judges are all
role models
Disa reported that there had been a formal request from the sports
judges to get help and
guidelines from the Education Committee with the aim to be more
consistent.
Marketing the horse: we need to move away from the image that the
Icelandic horse is easy
to ride and easy (and cheap) to keep.
We should produce a new owners info booklet.
We need to discuss and negotiate the question: what is good riding?
Lecture series over the winter (a) aimed at instructors and trainers,
(b) at club level to
general rider. We need good quality and consistent teaching material.
Actions:
Education Committee – will investigate what educational leaflets at
club level events exist,
and make them available to other clubs / countries.
Ian and Machteld – will formulate a question to Welfare Group to
advise the board on behalf
of Education Committee on the correct use of riding equipment – why
and how?
Ian and Machteld – will formulate a question to Welfare Group to
advise the board on behalf
of Education Committee along the lines: What is the ideal outline of
the horse (changes to
the Sport judges’ rules could put a correct outline before high leg
action)."

Mic

Mic (Michelle) Rushen

Solva Icelandic Horses and DeMeulenkamp Sweet Itch Rugs:
www.solva-icelandics.co.uk
"Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes"