"Emphasis on instructors to teach not just riding but also
horsemanship!"

From: "Susan Coombes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> . . . . The truth was riding a subdued horse who was alrady tacked up was
> where it started in UK. There is a
> lot more to horsemanship than bum in saddle. I knew it as a beginner. . .
> . Many people ride but can't lead the horse effectively or
> do any groundwork.  . . .  So for me riding is a small but important
> part of horsemanship. I have learned more about riding from the ground
> than from lessons.

Sue, good post.    I think so too.

On another level,  I think there are many good riders out there, but this
does not automatically make them
good horsemen (horsewomen) displaying good horsemanship..    To me, a good
horseman who has good horsemanship skills, has an innate desire to get
inside each horse's head they  work with, and displays empathy, kindness,
and respect for the horse in all they do.

I am not sure that can be taught. . . .It would take some awesome
instructors leading the way.   But the fundamental stuff out of the saddle
could definitely be taught.
-- Renee M. in Michigan