>>So let's define "gait training" as it pertains to this list
>
> For me, gait training means refining the horse's natural gaits under
> saddle so that he knows which cue means which gait, then working to
> get the best out of that gait, without gimmicks.

That's a good one.

To expand a little, I would say that the trainer has to have full knowledge
of all of the easy gaits, the ability to recognize what a horse is doing,
and the education to build on the natural gaits to bring out the best
without mechanical aids such as tight saddles, tight nosebands, weights
(shoes, boots, etc.), whips, sitting on the loins, concussive practices...
(what have I missed?)

Judy
http://iceryder.net
http://clickryder.com