> http://www.wickedlocal.com/hanover/fun/x224949997
>
> http://youtube.com/watch?v=6C_JM9fOnMk

Here are the comments on the news article:

beautiful horses
Absolutely devine picture. The reason we moved to the area was to move from
the heavy suburban environment to peacefulness. This is peaceful. Love the
horses.

best part of the Mariner
Thank you for taking the time to shoot pictures of our Town. So many
memories of Horses in Hanover. In our hustle bustle world, it is relaxing to
see such beautiful animals. thank you

German
My family is from Germany and we had Icelandic Horses in Germany. Incredible
animals. The best riding horse I was ever on. I am thrilled to know there is
an Icelandic Farm in Hanover.

Riding Ice
It's not the best thing to do with horses, to ride on ice, especially at
speed. It is very hard on their joints. Most people are very careful with
riding at speed on hard surfaces. Why would this be done at the horse's
expense as a spectator sport?

Beautiful Horses
It is so nice to see and read an article that showcases what Hanover use to
be. The thought that we have these majestic horses in our town brings back
memories of days passed, when a lot of horses were in our town. Thank you to
Four Winds Farm in bringing to our town such a beautiful horse farm.

Horses that are natural on ICE
Icelandics are naturals on ICE, Iceland is a Country of Ice and the horses
live on Ice 9 months of the year. Joint issues are not present in these type
horses. Riding on Ice is a common sport in Iceland, Sweden and Germandy.
These smaller, rugged horses that the Vikings rode are a natural to the
climate in New England. Sure footed, the Icelandic thrives on snow and Ice.
Great horse.

JDGArrish
We have been to Germany many times and the Icelandic horses are superb! We
saw quite a few in the Goetesburg area. When I was growing up un Hanover, no
one had heard of these. It is good to see them here.

Horses in Hanover
Driving into Town Hall area and down 139..incredible. We have loved Briggs
and their horses and foals for years. Your a welcome addition and your farm
is beautiful. We need to maintain a charm to Hanover and I am thankful to
those who can and do.

windgait
Riding on ice is VERY tough on horses' joints, and doing it at speed, while
having to balance a human's weight it just crude. Why? For entertainment?
There is no such thing as a horse being bred to run on ice. Icelandic bones,
bones, muscles, tendons and ligaments function just as any other breed's do.
It's interesting to note that horses born and raised in Iceland where this
sport is common seem to have a much higher incidence of bone spavin than
their USA born counterparts who are not subjected to this kind of
riding/training. Please don't suport this cruel practice. We have plenty of
ways to enjoy our horses without risking their long-term soundness.

response to windgait
So wrong. Being in the Vet world ,there is absolutely no statistical data to
support your supposition. The diagnosis of spavin in Icelandics is virtually
nonexistant home and abroad . Period . How shallow to think horses breed and
breed on Ice for thousands of years would have a problem doing a Ice routine
for 15 minutes . One of the major problems with pseudo- horse people is
their total uneducation. Don't think any one with an education would buy
your theory.
Your agenda is not needed in Hanover.

Owner of a horse with spavin
...One of the major problems with pseudo- horse people is their total
uneducation.... ABSOLUTELY! Isn't anyone doing any research on the problems
created by horses working on hard surfaces? Are you a vet?

IceRyder
You said: "The diagnosis of spavin in Icelandics is virtually nonexistant
home and abroad ." Eidfaxi magazine, Issue 4, 1997, had an article entitled
"Spavin is a Serious Problem in Icelandic Horses" subsequent to a conference
to discuss health issues in the Icelandic Horse of which spavin was a large
part. There is also a book which contains several studies about Icelandic
Horses and spavin: Bone Diseases of the Saga Horse by S. Bjornsdottir; and
from Holar: Culling rate of Icelandic horses due to bone spavin.

Thank you ,Lori, for helping to keep the town a good memory for all of
us,young and old.
Your animals look well fed and well groomed. Your joy in their well-being is
obvious. They sure aren't running from you in the picture! Vi ryerson

To the undercurrent of Hanover
Any one can look on line , regarding any disorder. Those of us who work with
such disorders know that the causative reasons for certain disorders in
animals is unknown. But one factor is certain in "spavin" it has a genetic
component. As such with this genetic component, horses exported to this
country undergo testing and are not exported if they have certain
conditions. And Spavin has "no correlation with an animal on Ice" nor has
there been a study that makes this correlation.. All horse breeds can
acquire this " osteoarthrosis" just like humans do. Hanover has a
undercurrent on the "blogs" that has nothing more to do than try to
denigrate the " good in this town" and this unfortunate person who may have
her own horse with "arthritis" seems to think everyone elses does to.
Osteoarthrosis in animals is mutlifactoral and is as much to do with feed as
it is with saddles, etc. We evaluate closely disorders in large animals and
know of no spavin with Icelandics in Hanover.
Again, your issues are not with Beautiful horses in Hanover, it is about
some dysfunction personal unbringing where you can't tolerate normality.

Could not agree more
Lately, on the "blogs" it is not about issues. It is about a few people who
"hate" everything about life and venting. I'm not a horse person but I can
clearly see that someone has an agenda. How ludicrous to think that an
animal born and raised on Ice and snow should not ride in this Country on
Ice and Snow.

Another Icelandic owner
Icelandic horses are no more suited to moving on ice and snow than any other
equine. Their hoof structure is just like that of any other horse. The "ice
nails" or caulks used for these icetolts are what makes it possible for them
to go at speed, as they would any other horse. When my unshod Icelandic
horses move about on icey footing in their paddock in the winter, they do so
very carefully and gingerly -- like any other horse. And sometimes, they
even slip a bit if they aren't careful. These indoor, American icetolts are
on par with the old Donkey basketball games IMO -- an exploitive circus
event done with no thought for the horses themselves and only for the
amusement of the ignorant spectators. In Iceland, icetolts are held on
frozen lakes and the horses are run in a straight line, not around and
around in a hockey arena. The whole "sport" evolved to give the Icelanders a
break after the cold, dark, hard winter and they used what flat surfaces
were available to them -- frozen lakes. This is not something we have to do
here with the horses. There are plenty of indoor arenas with horse-friendly
footing available to us year round for an exhibition. These horses are
wonderful on their own merit and do not need to be showcased in this very
exploitive, silly way. Shame on everyone who participated and supported this
event. You are no friend of the Icelandic horse.

To the same person blogging who pretends to be an icelandic owner
Don't know the Hanover Icelander in the story but seems like a wonderful
farm from the picture. The blogger is full of horse crap. You don't fool any
one. Ist, you don't own an Icelandic . All Icelandics are pure breed and
registered. I found only one Icelandic Farm within an Hour of Hanover. Your
clearly a "liar". Being from Sweden myself, my parents own Icelandics and I
grew up with them. They live on the Ice and Snow unlike American horses.
Their shorter structure and leg length is well adapted to sure footedness
and they are uniquely made to be in the Ice and Snow. I don't think anyone
would disagree that Morgans and Thoroughbreeds don't belong on the ICe
because they are long legged. There are many differences in the horses. For
example, it is difficult to Barn an Icelandic as they are double coated and
get warm too fast. While we stable allAmerican horses in the Winter. Any
experienced traveler who flys to Europe sees many horses on the tunda in
Greenland on solid Ice. They are Icelandic horses. They have adapted to the
Ice over thousands of years unlike their horse peer in America.
Any way, people with hidden agendas can't understand rational thought.
Fortunately, few people read the blogs. Because like myself reading this
blog for the first time, it is clear your an "idiot" bored with your life .
Us Europeans think it is wonderful that Hanover has a farm of such beautiful
animals. Maybe your next diatribe will be the caging of Elephants at the
zoo. Get a life.

Icelandics on Ice
I am a Vet very familiar with large animals and was called yesterday
regarding a question of "is there harm to riding Icelandic horses on Ice".
Never was asked this question before so I contacted another Vet in WESTERN
MASSACUSETTS who owns an Icelandic and works alot with them. She is a
Cornell researcher and she was clear to me" there is no problem with riding
Icelandics on Ice". She is experienced and authoritative. I hope this clears
up the question. Icelandics are a natural on the Ice.

Another Vet with a Different Opinion
Rather than conjecture or anecdotal experience, how about studies on the
subject as to Icelandics on ice and whether it does or does not negatively
affect them. Ego or horse ... horse or ego ... which one is more important?

Nice try but no vet would make such a stupid statement
Icelandics on Ice. Hundreds of Thousands of Horses over Centuries. With
Agricultural Colleges and Horse Colleges in Iceland, don't you think if it
was a problem, it would have been studied. No one on this earth sees it as a
problem except some "phony in Hanover".

IceRyder
You said, "don't you think if it was a problem, it would have been studied."
Not necessarily. It may not be considered in places where horses are easily
disposable. You said, "Icelandics on Ice. Hundreds of Thousands of Horses
over Centuries." And a very high rate of slaughter. But, let's take a look
at the situation by looking at different points. Someone mentioned the
horses being raised on ice... is that true? Really, is it true? Think about
it. Do the horses run on ice at liberty? How many of the horses in the show
were imported, how many domestic? If domestic, were they raised on ice?  If
imported, how long had it been since they'd been on ice?  If only for 15
minutes, were they conditioned on ice prior to the show?  Moving at speed on
hard surfaces is a method of soring horses which is called concussive
practices.  It is a method to make the horses have more animation in front.
Watching one of the videos of icetolt on youtube, it can be seen that the
horse is snapping his front feet at the walk, which would not be normal
movement (also notice fighting the bit on several horses):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYKjXzUpde4  What was the reason for this
exhibition? was it for the horse's benefit? or the benefit of the show
promoters?

Judy
http://iceryder.net
http://clickryder.com