I went to the iceshow in VT last month and I have to admit, I was
horrified. I went because I just needed to see for myself. I'm not one
to get overly upset by things but I felt what I witnessed was cruel.
One stallion's legs went out right under him and he fell on his side.
The rider got back on and continued. The stallion was clearly shaken
and every time he passed that spot where he fell, he slowed right down.
Many of the horses did some sliding and were trying hard to step
carefully. The arena was also very small but that didn't stop them from
trying to show the flying pace. None of the horses were able to do it
because they just weren't comfortable. They did an extended trot
instead. The trainers riding were all the well known ones that are
living here in the states now. I'm sure many of you can figure out who
they are. All I can say is, the studs clearly were not enough and these
horses were forced to perform in a situation they were NOT comfortable
with. I left the show feeling badly with a lot less respect to the
riders/trainers.

Heather