>>> I went to the iceshow in VT last month and I have to admit, I was
>>> horrified. I went because I just needed to see for myself. I'm not one
>>> to get overly upset by things but I felt what I witnessed was cruel.
>>> One stallion's legs went out right under him and he fell on his side.
>>> The rider got back on and continued. The stallion was clearly shaken and
>>> every time he passed that spot where he fell, he slowed right down.
>>> Many of the horses did some sliding and were trying hard to step
>>> carefully. The arena was also very small but that didn't stop them from
>>> trying to show the flying pace.

Thanks for the report, sad as it is.  It's not surprising though - it's
simply physics.  I don't know if anyone remembers a link I sent in a few
months ago, of a show I found on that Icelandic online TV channel - I'm not
sure I can still find it.  One horse slipped badly and fell, and the crowd
roared in laughter.  What a difference in cultures...  We mostly talk about
the long-term damage possible from riding fast and hard on slippery, hard
surfaces, but you're right - there are certainly very real short-term
(immediate) risks too.   How can anyone defend that?

>>> The trainers riding were all the well known ones that are living here in
>>> the states now. I'm sure many of you can figure out who they are. All I
>>> can say is, the studs clearly were not enough and these horses were
>>> forced to perform in a situation they were NOT comfortable with. I left
>>> the show feeling badly with a lot less respect to the riders/trainers.

I remember that it was Sigrun and her American husband, Jason, who seemed to
be sponsoring it, so I assume they were also riding.  I assume Gudmar
too...?