On Sat 12/Nov/2022 19:46:13 +0100 Wei Chuang wrote:
On Fri, Nov 11, 2022 at 9:31 PM Scott Kitterman <skl...@kitterman.com> wrote:
On Friday, November 11, 2022 5:18:57 PM EST Wei Chuang wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 10, 2022 at 4:42 AM Scott Kitterman <skl...@kitterman.com> wrote:

If a domain is signing spam and their reputation suffers as a result, isn't that the system working as designed?

Yes, it is.

The slides
https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/115/materials/slides-115-dispatch-dkim-replay-problem-and-possible-solutions
at Dispatch and the problem statement draft
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-chuang-dkim-replay-problem
help describe the DKIM replay problem.

Thanks!

I think Section 2, *Mail Flow Scenarios* lacks the case of secondary MXes, especially if they are provided by a different ADMD.

For a nit, *ESP Bulk Sender* has to be promoted to section title.

I think that between the draft and the discussion so far there are a few
classes of potential solutions:

1. Signers have taken responsibility for the message when they signed it, so they get to live with the consequences of having done so (for this purpose, I think the "message" is the signed content of the message). No standards action or changes required to DKIM, except maybe modernizing header field signing/over-signing recommendations to make replay at least a little more difficult.

That's the easiest thing to do.  Correctly listed as #1.

2. Introduce changes that break existing indirect mail flows. Standards actions needed. Senders and receivers both need to make changes. Standards actions needed. If we go down this path, would it be more honest just to declare indirect mail flows obsolete/deprecated (based on the prevalence of From re-writing on mailing lists, common practice may be headed this way already due to DMARC). >> 3. Changes that modify expectations for legitimate indirect mail flows that illegitimate indirect mail flows such as replay attacks will have difficulty copying. These require changes by senders, indirect mail processors (e.g. mailing list providers and forwarders), and receivers. Unlikely to be effective until widely implemented.

2 and 3 look the same to me. We need to change something in the standards, and that would require to adjust the wording in the proposed charter, where it says:

    compatibility with existing deployments will be a critical factor,
    and it is unlikely that proposals that lack compatibility will
    proceed to publication.

A way of bridging this, particularly for approach 3, is to use legacy authentication in addition to the replay resistant technique. Use the replay resistant technique when available in preference to DKIM for DMARC and reputation systems, but have it available to fall back to. A follow on consideration then is why would anyone adopt the new replay resistant technique. Presumably there would be deliverability incentives for senders and forwarders to adopt the replay resistant technique (due to the negative reputation effects DKIM replay has) and for receivers to avoid escalations. In any case, I think the above categorization is pretty reasonable.

The two proposed replay resistant cryptographic domain based protocols that leverage ARC seem to be difficult to implement or a mailing list with thousands final recipients or a multi-hop forwarding.

What I've seen is that the Received header shows the delivery of the message to the initial recipient, followed by a new set of Received headers that shows that the message has been resent. Sometimes the spammer leaves behind other clues like duplicate headers like multiple Date, Message-id or Subject headers.

We cannot rely on spammers' habits.

I'd rather note that recipients not in To:/Cc:, when legal, require prior arrangement. Bcc:, depending on use cases, requires either an explicit or an implicit agreement. Admins set up secondary MXes and inbound filtering services. Users subscribe to mailing lists ans newsletters, and request forwarding (when used for email portability). In addition, in the latter cases, messages to the final recipient have a single envelope recipient. That feature can be used to setup per-user whitelists, to be updated concurrently with the subscription/ forwarding setup.

Best
Ale