On 14/11/22 22:03, Laura Atkins wrote:

Does it make sense to add in a brief discussion of ‘responsibility for the message'? As I see it, responsibility implies able to do something against the originator of the message or act to stop the message if it turns out to be a problem. If it’s your customer and the mail is going out over your network you can disconnect them. If the mail isn’t going out through your network, you have very little control and if you don’t have control can you really be responsible?

This seems desirable, even if it's likely to be contentious, not least because the word "responsibility" is itself ambiguous:

 * In fact a signer can not literally be responsible once a copy of the
   signed message is handed to someone else as the signer has no way of
   responding (exerting any useful control) once that's happened. The
   signer's responsibilty is really about deciding whether to sign and
   ends at that point.
 * The word is frequently used to instead mean something like culpable
   after the fact, i.e. they're not responsible for taking some
   corrective action after the fact, but can reasonably be harmed for
   it e.g. to motivate better behaviour up front.

I'd suggest that the current level of ambiguity isn't helpful because it invites different readers to project incompatible assumptions about what's actually intended.

- Roland