On Thu, Feb 16, 2023 at 10:45 AM Scott Kitterman <ietf-d...@kitterman.com>
wrote:

> On February 16, 2023 6:10:39 PM UTC, Evan Burke <evan.burke=
> 40mailchimp....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:
> >The biggest current problem with replay is that it happens in bulk, at
> >substantial scale. x= is effective against that because it takes time to
> >send millions of messages.  Is it perfect? No. But it's not difficult to
> >choose between 10,000 replays using my domain vs. millions.
>
> Okay.  What's the value for X - T that prevents this problem, but doesn't
> cause DKIM signatures of "normal" mail to fail?

There's not one "right" value; we're talking about distributions of timings
for normal mail vs. replay, and yes, there's some overlap there. In
practice I've seen many signers choose expirations in the range of 1hr to a
few days.  1hr can be very good at limiting the opportunity for high volume
replay, but I estimate "normal" signature breakage at that level is on the
order of 0.1%. 24hr is probably effectively zero breakage, but with greater
opportunity for replay.

I understand the pushback; this is a list to talk about a standard, and
standards tend to be a lot more binary in their functionality, so to speak.
Maybe you're not receptive to a more practical solution - that's fine, I
respect that - but I think there may be others here who are more open to
that kind of approach.