Currently RFC 6376 says, "Signatures MAY be considered invalid".  I think the
practical effect as described in protocol terms would be to change the MAY to
SHOULD under X conditions and SHOULD NOT under !X conditions.  Not that I'd
expect to see this appear in a protocol document (maybe some kind of
applicability statement).

It does create a circumstance where indirect mail flows look inherently less
good (since they take longer), which I don't like.  On the other hand, if X is
set more than a minute or so in the future, mostly what is affected is mail
that is delayed in transit, direct or indirect and maybe that's okay.

Scott K